Thursday, August 28, 2008

A quick update...

So the same kid that I wrote about in my last post had me laughing again yesterday. Here's the conversation...

Kid: I am so tired, I just can't do my work
Me: What did you do last night that made you so tired?
Kid: My dad pooted in the bed all night and I couldn't sleep.
Me: No response...what do you say to that?

Things are still going good at school. Today I taught the morning reading lesson for the first time. The reading series that we use is pretty complicated and it's new so the teachers are having a hard time figuring it out. I think I did OK. Thankfully, the teacher left the room for most of the time that I was teaching. She makes me nervous when she's in there watching me, and the kids are always looking at her instead of me. They're probably wondering why some random girl is teaching them while their teacher is sitting right there. I also reviewed the calendar and started their math lesson today as well. I feel pretty comfortable teaching, and I'm really enjoying being in the school. Our class is well behaved for the most part, although I did have to sternly remind them that they have to behave for me just like they behave for the teacher. I think they were just testing the waters to see if I would get on to them, or let them talk and not pay attention. I gave one kid a "stick" because he kept acting up (a "stick" is what they get if they're doing something wrong. They have to put the stick-which is just a straw cut in half- in a pocket with their name on it. The # of sticks they have at the end of the week determines their conduct grade). Anyways, after I gave him a stick everyone else seemed to settle down. I guess they just needed to see that I meant what I said. Tomorrow I'll be teaching Math and one or two of the reading small groups. I really like the teacher I'm with, although I don't know how comfortable she is having someone else teach her class. She seems reluctant at times to let me teach, but it might be that she just doesn't want to give me too much. Next week I have my first evaluation by my professor. I think the lesson will be fine, I'm just nervous about having her watch me.

Other than school, my life isn't too exciting. I'm missing Matt, and I still won't get to see him for another month! I try to keep myself occupied in the evenings so I don't get lonely and so far I've been doing pretty good! Maybe I'll try out some new hobbies this semester! Well, I must go now because I'm getting hungry and I need to make dinner! Have a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog cracks me up. You need to keep all these funny things and then put a book together in about 10 years…or maybe sooner if you have more kids with Daddies that poot in the bed..  ROFL! Jennifer Johnson (JSL)

Kelly T said...

You go, Lori Lynn! Way to give that boy a stick and show him who's boss!! Oh, and BTW, Ben and I were cracking up at the pooting dad. Oh, the things kids say.

Regina said...

When I read comments from kids like that, I dread Caleb starting kindergarten. You know how much he likes to talk!!! I'm glad everything is going well for you. Can't wait to see you over the holidays! Love you!

OK Chick said...

HAHA! That made me laugh, and I'm still at work. Oh well, my coworkers already think I'm weird.

Melissa Lester said...

As a teacher, you will probably find out a lot of things like this that will make it difficult to keep a straight face during parent-teacher conferences.

Last spring when Joe was in the hospital to have his gall bladder removed, Christian told his kindergarten teacher that he had his dog bladder removed, and he told Julie Knapp in Bible class that he broke his bottom.