- We spent the first 2 hours of the school day this morning in the hallway downstairs. A tornado warning was in effect, the sirens were blowing as I was driving to work, some kids were crying...what a way to start a Monday!
- My first Friday, the teacher I'm with had to leave at 11:30. So, I was responsible for the class that afternoon (although we did have a substitute, as required by law)...on the way to PE, as we're about to walk out the door, a lizard runs in the door. Before I know it, one little boy jumps out of line to try to catch the lizard and throw it outside. Just as he reaches the lizard, the lizard's tail falls off and starts flipping around. The tail is flipping, the body is flipping, and all the kids are going crazy. I couldn't do anything but laugh (and rush the kids outside so the kindergarten teachers didn't hear the commotion!)
- Same day as the lizard...about 10 minutes later...I'm sitting in the classroom during my "planning" time, while the kids are OUTSIDE at PE. The principal comes over the intercom saying, "attention teachers: no one is allowed outside until further notice. NO ONE is to go outside!" The substitute rushes back in the room and says we're on lock down and we're supposed to lock ourselves in the room. But my kids are OUTSIDE and I don't have a key to the classroom! So, we just sit there and thankfully the PE coach brought the kids inside!
- One of my students lives with his grandma. He came in one morning and said he couldn't do his homework the night before. His excuse? "My grandma is like 60 years old...she can't help with homework!" Obviously 60 years old is ancient!
- Same kid is trying to do the math problem 9 + 2. He says he can't do the problem. I say, "well, if you don't know the problem in your head, you can count on your fingers." His response? "I don't have 9 fingers." So I ask, "How many fingers do you have?" and he responds..."10". Kids!
Our Breakfast Nook Reveal
1 day ago